Thursday, January 3, 2013

Choosing Your Commander - Colorless Options

It may seem a bit weird to consider a colorless legendary creature as you commander due to the severe restrictions that such a choice places on your card inclusions, but such commanders exist and I would be remiss to ignore them.  Some poeple like the deckbuilding challenge of making a colorless deck, but due to therecent printing of the Eldrazi creatures there are some significant strategic reasons to want to go this as well.

Bosh, Iron Golem:  Due to the red mana symbol in his activation cost, Bosh is considered to be Red as far as his color identity.  He was reviewed with the other mono-Red cards, so I won't say any more about him here.

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn:  In a format where mana cost is not a big hurdle to jump over in order to play something, Emrakul's 15 mana cost was not enough of a deterrent to people using and abusing him to litterally annihilate whomever stood in its way.  Emrakul is banned, both as a commander and as a card in your deck and the format is a better one for it.

Karn, Silver Golem:  For the longest time, Karn was your only option for a colorless commander.  His power lies in the fact that you can play lots of artuifacts with their many synergies and abilities, then animate those artifacts later to beat down your opponent.

Kozilek, Butcher of Truth:  I'm a big fan of playing Kozilek in any deck that can manage to cast him, and especially in green decks that generate tons of mana but need help drawing cards.  I personally don't see the advantage of usign him as your commander over Ulamog.

Memnarch:  Just like Bosh, Memnarch has colored mana symbols in his abilities making him blue instead of colorless.  I reviewed him alongside his fellow mono-blue commanders.




Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre:
To me, being Indestructible and being able to affect the board with his removal ability are big reasons to choose Ulamog over Kozilek.  I find myself squeezing Ulamog into more decks for his catch-all removal ability and because if I'm going to spend that much mana on something I want to make my opponents have to work for it to remove it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment